The magic of Exmoor – it’s qualities and characteristics
- Gently rolling hills – a landscape of great natural beauty
- Sense of wildness, remoteness, and tranquillity. Unspoilt, unhurried and definitely uncongested
- Strong local traditions – a real sense of continuity and timelessness
- Mosaic of habitats for wildlife – open moorland, coastal cliffs, sea shore with big tidal range, steep wooded valleys and fast flowing rivers
- Rich in history – of animal and human life and activity interacting with landscape
And that is just Exmoor
- See how The Quantocks and The Somerset Levels contrast.
How will you use Exmoor? You might:
- Walk – perhaps with dog – there are miles of footpaths including a footpath through our farm
- Ride a horse – there are miles of bridleways
- on road for ‘Tour of Britain’ enthusiasts – cover the route of the Pros.
- off road – miles of cycle tracks through woods and across moors
- Fish – huge variety for game, course and sea fishing enthusiasts
- Stargaze – Exmoor is Europe’s first International Dark Sky Reserve. Stargazing is a speciality at West Withy Farm.
- Eat – local food is excellent – good pubs, log fires and local ales
- Visit – National Trust houses, famous gardens, picturesque villages, isolated churches
- Joy ride – on a stream railway
- Rockpool – look for crabs on the seashore at low tide
- View heritage – fossil hunt at Kilve, see stone circles and barrows, view mining heritage and lime kilns
- Learn – about common land and wild Exmoor ponies
- Wild life spot – red deer, birds, butterflies, insects, bats, mosses and lichens
- Relax – read, chill – over a cream tea, perhaps
- Extreme sports practice – hang gliding, wild swimming, geo caching or Ironman.
West Withy Farm’s location on Exmoor
West Withy Farm is located on the eastern boundary of Exmoor National Park. The location of our cottages provides a big advantage for our guests because:
- it shortens the journey time to Exmoor for our guests travelling from London and the South East, from the Midlands, the North and from South Wales
- West Withy Farm provides a base that gives easy access not just to Exmoor itself and the Exmoor Coast with its steep coastal cliffs and hidden bays, but also to The Quantocks and to The Somerset Levels
Only 25 miles in any direction from West Withy Farm will take you through breath-taking scenery in infinite variety, providing a wealth of different locations and habitats for you and Nature to enjoy.
Want to do more planning for your dream holiday
There are two invaluable sources of extra information to help you plan your holiday:
Exmoor National Park – Things-to-do
For events that will take place during the dates of your stay, visit:
Exmoor National Park – Diary of events